Canine Aromatherapy by Earth Heart
Earth Heart Aromatherapy for You and Your Dog
Earth Heart Inc. has a long-standing reputation for designing safe, affordable, and effective natural remedies that help dogs live happier, healthier lives. Earth Heart products are made in the USA, packaged in BPA free recyclable containers, and are easy to use in your home or business, and while traveling.
Vicki Rae Thorne, certified aromatherapist and herbalist, founded Earth Heart in 1996 to help others learn how to use herbs and aromatherapy as an integral part of everyday health, offering products and classes to both professionals and families. Her certifications in aromatherapy and herbalism emphasize product safety and efficacy, ingredient accessibility, customer compliance and education. Vicki is a member of the Alliance of International Aromatherapists, American Herbalists Guild, and Women in the Pet Industry Network.
In 1999, Vicki was approached by a kennel owner who wanted help calming canine visitors that missed their families, and felt anxious or angry, agitated or depressed. The formula now known as Canine Calm was originally developed to diffuse in the kennel, and it worked from day one! Customers noticed that their dogs were calmer when they left the kennel, and didn’t fret so much when it was time to go back. This same kennel has been successfully using Canine Calm since the spring of 2000.
What Is Aromatherapy?
The simplest definition of aromatherapy is “healing with scent.” Specifically, aromatherapy is the therapeutic inhalation and topical application of pure essential oils from aromatic plants to restore or enhance health, beauty and well-being.
Essential oils are the volatile oils from the rind, flower, leaf, bark, root, or resin of aromatic plants that are released by steam distillation, cold expression or solvent extraction. Fragrance oils (such as raspberry, peach or apple) are synthetic scents, not used in therapeutic aromatherapy, and have been known to cause problems such as headaches, agitation or allergic reactions.
Pure essential oils are highly concentrated and must be diluted before using, which is easier on your wallet, the planet, and your pet’s skin and lungs. Products such as the Earth Heart mists are safely diluted, easy to use, and affordable. Diluting essential oils can also be done by air using a car or room diffuser to help create a calm healthy environment in your home, business, shelter or travel. The Earth Heart diffusion blends can soothe dogs before travel or parties, during storms, clinic or kennel visits, and offer comfort during flu and allergy seasons.
Earth Heart’s line of canine aromatherapy products offers unique blends formulated to insure safe and effective care with a pleasant scent. Here are the products we offer:
· Canine Calm is soothing during unsettling times such as thunderstorms, fireworks and other loud noises, parties, training, competitions, adoptions, holidays, bath time, grooming, crating, separation, hospice, and clinic or kennel visits. The floral-citrus scent is a blend of pure essential oils including lavender, bergamot, tangerine and rose geranium…plants that have traditionally been used for relaxation.
· Guard Well uses gentle yet powerful essential oils – niaouli, ravensare and frankincense – that help soothe dry irritated skin or enhance your dog's health and well-being after exposure to lawn or pool chemicals, cold or dry air, environmental irritants, viruses, bacteria, or long-term use of medications. It’s also a great addition to your first aid and travel kits.
· Travel Calm is a safe and healthy solution for travel shy dogs. With pure essential oils for relaxation and ginger to soothe stomach upset, this natural remedy can help soothe restlessness, drooling, panting, whimpering and stomach upset during travel. Travel Calm can also be substituted for Canine Calm if you prefer an earthier scent.
· Buzz Guard combines neem seed oil with pure essential oils to help improve your dog's comfort during outdoor activities such as walking, camping, hiking, boating, dog sports training and competition, or just having a good time in the great outdoors! It has been favorably field-tested in a variety of settings, from woodlands to wetlands, and shown to be effective in improving your dog’s outdoor comfort during daytime and evening hours.
Can Aromatherapy Really Help My Dog?
Scientific studies in Germany and France regarding the medical effects of essential oils on animals and humans were quite advanced by the mid-1800s. Because of positive clinical results, the practice of veterinary aromatherapy was not uncommon in these countries by the mid-1900s, and the practice of both human and veterinary aromatherapy has continued to gain popularity and credibility.
Essential oils, used in the practice of aromatherapy, are the volatile oils produced within the seed, flower, leaf, bark, root or resin of aromatic plants. These complex chemical components can be extracted by steam distillation, cold-pressing, and carbon dioxide or solvent extraction.
When either inhaled or applied to the skin, essential oils are absorbed into the bloodstream and circulate throughout the body. The use of topical aromatherapy products can create a bonding experience and potential behavior modification, which can provide comfort for dogs that are fretful during unsettling or nonroutine times.
Scent itself is “memoristic,” which means an aroma can trigger a memory along with an emotional response. Because the olfactory bulb has a direct link to the limbic system, which is the seat of emotion, memory and learning, scent is the only one of our five senses that has an emotional response before a cognitive one. For example, you don’t need to see a skunk to know it’s a skunk!
A dog’s sense of smell is remarkably better than ours. There are about 40 times more canine scent receptors than humans have, allowing them to identify smells between 1,000 and 10,000 times better than us. Dogs also have remarkable olfactory memory, and because a dog’s world revolves around scent, aromatherapy is ideal for use with them.
We encourage our customers to use our mists at a nonthreatening time, so the dog can associate that scent with a person of comfort and safety, rather than with an approaching storm or scary travel experience. In addition to scent, we find the Earth Heart mists can create a bonding experience through touch, and suggest that customers spray their fingertips once or twice and gently massage the dog’s ear tips, belly and back.
Customers working in rescue can see a lot of dogs surrendered due to separation anxiety or behavioral issues, and massaging them with Canine Calm helps them relax and feel safe. The same application with Travel Calm can help travel shy dogs more easily adapt to the car or other forms of travel – again, the association of scent with a person of comfort along with reassuring touch.
Some customers have shared that they enjoy the same connection when massaging dry, itchy or irritated skin with Guard Well or preparing for outdoor adventures with Buzz Guard. Many people have noticed that when the cupboard opens, the dog comes into the room and sits or lies down, waiting for the aromatherapy massage to begin!
Authentic aromatherapy is not just about scent memory. There is also a physiological response from the pure essential oils, and our products have been formulated to insure our customers receive safe, effective and affordable aromatherapy remedies.
How Are The Products Used?
· Earth Heart mists are appropriately diluted for safe use, and application is simple. Because of the “memoristic” nature of scent, you may want your initial use of the product to be at a non-stressful time. Lightly mist yourself, then hold or pet your dog to help associate the scent with a person of comfort and a relaxed moment. This also allows you to see how quickly the dog responds.
· With both Canine Calm and Travel Calm, spray one or two mists onto your fingertips and massage the dog’s outer ears in gentle upward strokes. Or you can lightly mist a favorite bandana to tie around the dog’s neck. You can also mist around a room, inside the travel crate or car, or directly onto bedding. Be creative, but don’t spray the product into the dog’s face, mouth, eyes or ears. Reapply every ten minutes if needed.
· For Guard Well, spray one or two mists directly onto irritated skin, and repeat as needed. For systemic application, spray one or two mists onto your fingertips and massage the dog’s outer ears twice daily.
· With Buzz Guard, spray several mists onto your hands and massage your dog’s outer ears, back of head, abdomen, legs and tail. Repeat as needed, especially if the dog gets wet.
Who Uses The Products?
Trainers love Canine Calm because it helps calm and focus dogs quickly, allowing other training tools to be more effective. Kennels, clinics and groomers have found the dogs to be calmer and quieter during visits…and because their customers are picking up a calmer dog, it can mean less stress for the next visit.
Earth Heart products are safe for use with puppies from 8 weeks of age, with horses and the human family members, too! People have used Canine Calm as a calming personal scent, and to relax after work or calm the children at bedtime. Guard Well has been used during cold and flu season both in the home and in the workplace. Customers have reported using Travel Calm successfully with their children, and Buzz Guard has been a great help for horses, who may be sore and itchy from insect bites.
It is important to note that essential oils are not recommended for use with birds, and must be used very cautiously with cats. Many cats react negatively to certain essential oils, and while experts are not in agreement regarding safety issues with cats, it is generally believed that very limited exposure to quality pure essential oils is a better option than using synthetic or adulterated fragrances. Any of the suggestions or information provided here is not intended to replace qualified medical consultation or treatment.
What Do Customers Say About Earth Heart Aromatherapy Products?
“I have a Jack Russell terrier that is full of energy. I love to rub CANINE CALM mist on his belly, chest and ears, and within 10 minutes he is asleep. I use CANINE CALM mist on dogs that come into our store with behavior issues, and it works so well that the product flies off the shelf!”
– Donna Klenovich, Munchies Natural Pet Foods, Florida
“I couldn't have made the five-day cross country trip without TRAVEL CALM. It worked like a charm for my two old dogs, Charlie and Susie. They remained calm and neither one vomited."
– Albert D, California
“Our dog Thomas has summer allergies and frequently bites his itchy skin. Since using GUARD WELL, he’s not biting his paws or scratching every few minutes.”
– Joie B, Michigan
“I give four paws up for BUZZ GUARD, which is especially helpful in southwest Florida at sundown. The scent is very fresh, and because the product isn’t oily, it feels clean and light, and it penetrates the fur with no problem.”
– Nancy Okun, owner, Cats N Dogs, Florida
“Working in rescue, we get a lot of dogs surrendered due to separation anxiety or behavioral issues, and CANINE CALM really helps with these issues. It also smells great!”
– Karen Rogers, Five Barking Dogs! New York
“Earth Heart uses natural ingredients in BPA-free containers, which aligns perfectly with our mission to carry quality products that are free from dangerous chemicals.”
– Dorothy Hunter, Paws Natural Pet Emporium, Washington
Order Earth Heart Aromatherapy Products For Your Dog Today!
Treat your dog to natural relaxation and wellness with the Earth Heart line of canine aromatherapy products. To get started with your order, please visit our website
Contact: Our Friendly Staff
P.O. Box 427
Dundee, Illinois 60118
Website: Click Here To Connect